Blackwall is an NPC in Dragon Age 3: Inquisition who may join your party as a Companion.
"The Grey Wardens hold a lonely vigil, enduring lives of hardship and sacrifice to protect the world from an evil that can never truly be conquered. Few would volunteer for this: the suffering, isolation, and promise of a violent death. But the path of a Warden is also one of valor, and those who give themselves to the cause are rewarded with the knowledge that they have become something more than they were. Blackwall is one of the rare few Wardens who chose, of his own accord, to pick up the shield. He believes so wholeheartedly in the noble ideal of the Grey Wardens that he would rather have this life than any other."
- After returning from Val Royeaux, Leliana opens the quest The Lone Warden in The Hinterlands. If you help Blackwall he will offer to join the inquisition. Please note that you must accept this offer before Adamant.
- He leaves after completing Explanations, but can be recruited again if you follow his personal quest Revelations.
- Once a party member, he can be found near the Stables in Skyhold for conversation.
- Recruitment Quest: The Lone Warden
- Approval Opportunity: Memories of the Grey
- Gift Quest: Explanations
- Personal Quest: Revelations
Blackwall War Table Ops
|Name, Time & Requirements||Best||Forces Reward||Secrets Reward||Connections Reward|
Utilize the Grey Warden Treaties (30 min)This operation appears once Blackwall is recruited.
Blackwall has in his possession Grey Warden treaties, which the Inquisition might be able to use to obtain the resources it needs to improve itself. Josephine can be put in charge of invoking the treaties in as diplomatic a way as possible.
Conscript for the Inquisition (60 min)Blackwall was recruited, Haven was destroyed.
The appearance of an ancient darkspawn magister makes the Grey Warden treaties more relevant to the Inquisition. What you choose to obtain with the treaties is up to you. Cullen will use them to bolster Inquisition forces, Josephine uses them to ask for donations from noble allies, and Leliana will use them to gain information for the Inquisition.
|Connections||1 Round Pommel||1 Round Pommel||1 Round Pommel|
The Consequences of Blackwall's Lie (60 min)Saw Blackwall on the gallows in Val Royeaux, used the Grey Warden treaties before
Blackwall's revelation has made some of your allies upset, as the “conscription” done by the Inquisition was based on a lie. Josephine believes reparations should be made—this will get the Inquisition nothing but may appease your allies. Cullen prefers a more practical approach; based on your actions at Adamant, the Wardens are now your allies, or banished from Southern Thedas and their assets seized by the Inquisition. Either way, the commander believes this entitles you to use the treaties with impunity. Allowing him to handle it will give the Inquisition more gold.
How to Romance Blackwall
Blackwall is one of the few remaining Grey Wardens. Having been isolated from society, he is awkward in social interactions but a skilled warrior. Players looking to romance Blackwall must relate to his vocation as a Grey Warden.
- Romance by: Females, any race
- Alignment: ??
- Important Approval Choices: Blackwall Approval for regular quests, and selective flirting without pushing him away. You should complete his personal quests.
- Romance Point: Flirt with him when possible, but be warned that he will get cold feet once the approval rating has increased enough and when you try to initiate a romance after Haven is destroyed. To initiate the romance properly, you must continue getting his approval and trigger the Gift Quest Explanations by talking to him at the Stables in Skyhold. Returning his badge will set in motion his leaving of your party. Find him again in Val Royeaux, talk to him in his cell, and then chose to judge him in your War Table and return him to the Inquisition. Doing this will bring him back to the Stables in Skyhold where you can initiate the final conversation to formalize the romance.
Alignment & Approval Rating
Blackwall Approval is determined by your choices in conversation and in the game decisions in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Below is a list of all his reactions to quest and personal dialogue. Special Approval: Killing Darkspawn with Blackwall in your party will grant "Blackwall Slightly Approves" (+1) at random intervals. Approval rating may be checked at the "Gather Party" screen by observing the cards, or by the interactions with the NPC.
Memories of the Grey
Collecting these Grey Warden artifacts around Thedas will grant you ( +3) Approval with Blackwall. There are a total of 8.
Blackwall Approval on Quest Choices
- Recruiting Corporal Vale
- Ally with the mages or the templars.
- Say “because it's right” when made Inquisitor.
- Allow the Grey Wardens to join the Inquisition after securing Adamant.
- Support Gaspard at the Winter Palace.
- Gain enough court approval (85+) to have Florianne arrested at the Winter Palace.
- Save Empress Celene's life at the Winter Palace.
- Drink from the Well of Sorrows at the Temple of Mythal (if Blackwall is not in a romance with you).
- Morrigan drinks from the Well of Sorrows at the Temple of Mythal (if Blackwall is in a romance with you).
- Force either the mages or the templars to surrender and serve the Inquisition.
- Say you'll “do it for my own power” when made Inquisitor.
- Exile the Grey Wardens after securing Adamant.
- Support Briala at the Winter Palace.
- Refuse an alliance with Abelas at the Temple of Mythal.
- Allow Empress Celene to be assassinated at the Winter Palace.
Blackwall Approval on Dialogue
"... Wars are won by men...(Talk about the Inquisition)."
- There are many ways to win a war. (+1)
"... You didn't have to take the time to help me, and yet you did"
- It was a good cause. (+2)
**"... Admire you"
- We will do better (+1)
"...Let him come. I swear I'll take the twisted bastard down, even if I have to die to do it."
- Thank you (+1)
- You're taking this hard.
- You're no good to me dead. (-2)
The New Warden Workshop
"...It's good to be part of something so important, something that could change things."
- I'm glad. (+1)
- What about the Wardens?
- So we have your loyalty?
"...Someone told me that once. Took me years to understand what he meant."
- Wise words. (+1)
- Isn't it obvious? (-1)
- Why follow at all? (-2)
"...Put aside his own ambitions to help me win the melee. I don't think I ever thanked him."
- A generous act
- Why'd he help you?
- You couldn't win on your own? (-1)
"...But now I believe I made the right decision after all."
- What changed? (+1)
- (Romance) Because of me?. (+1)
- Self-doubt is dangerous. (+1)
"...I should've gone with him. Perhaps things could've been different."
- It all turned out.
- Not necessarily better.
- Regret is useless. (-2)
I've A Hankering For Company
"...we could make the world better. It's just easier to shut our eyes."
- Don't let that stop you.
- Your eyes aren't shut. (+1)
- All this over a dog? (-1)
Background, Dialogue & Other Notes
Cassandra Pentaghast ♦ Cole ♦ Dorian ♦ Sera ♦ Solas ♦ The Iron Bull ♦ Varric Tethras ♦ Vivienne